Hempfield High School Music Department
Music Department Courses
- Music Production: This course covers the basics of audio recording, audio editing, MIDI sequencing, orchestra/ arranging, film scoring, and the basics of sound reinforcement.
- Beginning and Intermediate Piano: These classes provide students with the opportunity to learn musical skills and repertoire through piano performance. The course is offered in a group setting and students are encouraged to advance at an individualized pace.
- Beginning and Intermediate Guitar: These classes provides students with the opportunity to learn musical skills and repertoire through guitar performance. Techniques in classical and finger-style playing will be introduced as well as how to play chords and rhythm guitar riffs.
- Intro to Music Theory: This class is a basic, introductory study of the structural elements of music. Topics include: the history and development of musical symbols, acoustics, audiation, music notation and music composition.
- AP Music Theory: This AP-level class is designed as an accelerated approach toward content and skills presented in Introduction to Music Theory, plus course content for the advanced study of the structural elements and compositional procedures in music. Students who successfully complete this course will be prepared to take the annual Advanced Placement Music Theory Exam
- Concert Choir: This choral ensemble, primarily for students new to HHS choir (typically 9th grade) and less experienced students with mixed voices, rehearses and performs appropriate music for several concerts.
- Hempfield Singers: This select choral ensemble for students with mixed voices rehearses and performs a variety of challenging music for several concerts. This choir also regularly performs concerts in local venues and for civic and social organizations. Students are required to perform in all concerts.
- Concert Band: This ensemble, primarily for instrumentalists new to HHS (typically 9th grade) and intermediate-level students who play band instruments, rehearses and performs separately from and together with the Symphonic Band at several concerts. Hempfield Marching Knights is an extra-curricular option for this course.
- Symphonic Band: This ensemble for students who play woodwind, brass, and percussion instruments. Symphonic Band rehearses and performs for several concerts. Students are required to perform in all concerts. Hempfield Marching Knights is an extra-curricular option for this course.
- Concert Strings: This ensemble is primarily for instrumentalists new to HHS (typically 9th grade) and intermediate-level students who play bowed string instruments. The ensemble rehearses every other day and performs at several concerts.
- Symphony Strings: This ensemble is for students in grades 10-12 who play bowed string instruments. Symphony Strings rehearses every other day and performs in several concerts and other performances as announced. Students are required to perform in all concerts.
Students who elect to participate in a performance ensembles (bands, orchestras, and choirs) must either be recommended by their middle school director(s) or successfully perform a pre-assessment with the appropriate high school director(s).
Students enrolled in HHS Performance Ensembles are also offered co-curricular and extra-curricular extensions including: Chamber Singers, Marching Band, Jazz Bands, HHS Musical, PMEA and LLMEA Honor Ensembles, etc.
We encourage participation in multiple ensembles. The high school schedule typically allows for simultaneous enrollment in both vocal and instrumental ensembles
An education in the arts exalts the human spirit. What is true of all the arts is supremely true of music. Students who experience music fully in a school setting have better emotional expression, are better participants in group activities, and exhibit better emotional management in their lives. Frequent studies demonstrate that music education enhances numerous aspects of a child's social development and academic success.
Our mission in the Hempfield School District Music Department is to provide meaningful learning experiences for all students that inspire and nurture the love of music throughout the community. We create an enriched community through musical expression.