Safety & Security Overview
There is no topic more important than the safety and security of our students and the staff who work with them in our schools. Whether it is prevention and mitigation, preparedness, response, or recovery, our district strives to manage every phase of emergency readiness competently and effectively. Our work to strengthen the safety and security measures at Hempfield School District is ongoing. We focus on reflective practice and continuous improvement in all that we do.
Safety & Security Measures
Because of our commitment to safety and security preparedness, the Hempfield School District has the following structures in place.
- All-Hazards Plan: Our All-Hazards Plan provides a framework from which we build a safe and secure learning environment with the ability to respond promptly and appropriately in the event of an emergency. This plan is revisited annually and also following any critical incidents, either in our district or across the nation.
- Districtwide Safety & Security Committee: This committee is comprised of internal stakeholders to review current structures, practices, and procedures and make recommendations to the administration and the school board. This committee also assists with the screening of training provided to staff and students.
- District Safety and Security Supervisor: Working in coordination with our Chief Operating Office and other school leaders, including our building principals, the District Safety and Security Supervisor spearheads efforts focused on promoting the safety of our schools.
- Safety & Security Drills: We conduct safety and security drills in all our schools on a regular basis. Click here for more information on safety and security drills.
- Threat Assessment Team: In accordance with Act 18, school districts are required to establish at least one team for the assessment of and intervention with students whose behavior may indicate a threat to the safety of the student, other students, school employees, school facilities, the community, or others. For more information on Threat Assessment Teams, click here.
- Emergency Management Coordination: We are grateful to maintain close working relationships with local law enforcement and emergency management services.
- Memorandum of Understanding: Our district maintains agreements with community organizations to access shelter locations should there be a need to evacuate a school beyond our district facilities.
- School Resource Officer (SRO): This is an East Hempfield Township Police Department officer who is assigned to Hempfield High School during the school year. The main goal of the SRO is to provide a highly visible presence that promotes positive relationships between youth and law enforcement that, in turn, helps prevent juvenile delinquency. Read more about our SRO by clicking here.
For more information pertaining to Safety & Security within Hempfield School District, use the navigation on the right-hand side.