Online Learning Education: HVA
The School Board approved Hempfield’s learning options. These options include:
- In-person learning
- Online learning through Hempfield Virtual Academy (HVA)
- Home school
What is the Hempfield Virtual Academy (HVA)?
HVA is a comprehensive 7-12 online learning option for families, but it is not the synchronous virtual programming offered this school year.
HVA Grades 7-12
Except for the name change from HAVEN to HVA, there will be no changes to the current cyber program for secondary students. Students and teachers will continue online with Edgenuity and/or Open Campus for next school year.
HVA Student Readiness
Students choosing to participate in online courses should first examine their personal skills and aptitudes for taking a class online. The following attributes will greatly contribute to a student's success:
- Self-Motivation - Students who can direct their own learning environment, fulfill course requirements, and achieve individual academic success.
- Independent Learner - The online environment enables students to learn at their own pace -- traditional, extended, or accelerated -- relieving the stress of feeling rushed or pressured and providing enjoyment in the learning process.
- Computer Literate - Although it is not necessary to have advanced computer skills, students should possess a working knowledge of email, the Internet, and basic keyboarding skills, and Microsoft Office suite.
- Time Management - Students must be able to organize and plan their own best "time to learn." There is no one best time for everyone, but the key to learning is to commit the time to learn.
- Effective Written Communication Skills - Students must use electronic email to communicate with their peers as well as the instructors. The ability to write clearly in order to communicate ideas and assignments is very important to student success as well as a means to inform instructors of any concerns or problems.
- Personal Commitment - Since there are no bells that begin and end classes, students must have a strong desire to learn and achieve knowledge and skills via online courses. Making a commitment to learn in this manner is a very personal decision and requires a strong commitment to participate in order to achieve academic success.