Hempfield School District provides a continuum of services, without discrimination or cost to the student or family, for students determined to be eligible for special education. These student-specific related aids, services or accommodations provide equal opportunity for students to participate in and obtain the benefits of the school program and extracurricular activities. Students are educated in the Least Restrictive Environment to meet their unique needs.
A child eligible to receive special education services is a student who has been evaluated by the school district's multidisciplinary team and has been determined to have one or more of the following disabilities, and who, by reason thereof, needs special education and related services.
- Emotional Disturbance
- Hearing Impairment Including Deafness
- Intellectual Disability
- Multiple Disabilities
- Orthopedic Impairment
- Other Health Impairment
- Specific Learning Disability
- Speech or Language Impairment
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Visual Impairment including Blindness
All information gathered about a student is subject to the confidentiality provisions contained in federal and state law. The district has policies and procedures in effect governing the collection, maintenance, destruction and disclosure of this information to third parties. For information about these policies and procedures, as well as rights of confidentiality and access to educational records, parents should contact the school principal in writing.
Our special education support team includes:
- School Psychologists are mental health practitioners who perform critical identification of academic and psychological concerns that affect a child's ability to maximize his or her potential in life. School Psychologists provide consultation for behavioral intervention for students who exhibit behaviors that impair their ability to function successfully in class.
- Paraeducators support our certified special education teachers with instructional duties and perform non-instructional duties as directed by the certified teacher.
- Speech & Language Pathologists specialize in all aspects of communication and the resulting impact on academic performance. These pathologists evaluate and treat students with speech and language needs including speech, language, and cognitive-communication impairments.
Child Find Notice
In compliance with state and federal law, notice is given by Hempfield School District that it conducts ongoing identification activities as part of its school program. The purpose of these activities is to identify those students who may be in need of special education and related services. All information gathered about a child is subject to the confidentiality provisions contained in federal and state law. Hempfield School District has policies and procedures that govern the collection, maintenance, destruction, and disclosure to third parties of this information. Read the full Special Education Notice here.