Director of Athletics
Athletics PhilosophyAthletics are an important extension of the educational program and a privilege afforded to our students by the Hempfield community. Hempfield students have diverse and equitable opportunities to earn membership on teams and become well-rounded, accomplished student athletes who respect and take pride in themselves, their team, the school, and the community.
Student-athletes will interact with knowledgeable, skilled adults who exemplify the athletic philosophy of the Hempfield School District. In addition to providing exemplary instruction in their sport and fielding competitive teams, coaches will readily embrace responsibility for being mentors and role models and demonstrate this commitment through example and deed.
Ultimately, the Hempfield athletic program will strive to produce responsible, capable young adults who hold themselves accountable for pursuing excellence in all aspects of life, demonstrate joy and humility when they succeed, exhibit grace and resourcefulness in the face of adversity, and desire to contribute positively to the common goals of their team as well as the needs of our community.
Our district holds the following core beliefs regarding athletics:
- Students deserve access to diverse, equitable opportunities to earn team membership where they have the chance to develop high levels of proficiency in their sport as well as skills that will benefit them throughout their lives.
- In order to develop young adults who demonstrate high character on and off the field of competition, student-athletes will work with coaches who model leadership, integrity, respect, selflessness, commitment, teamwork, goal setting and attainment, good communication, and a caring, positive, professional attitude.
- Student-athletes and coaches will strive for excellence within the framework established for competition and hold themselves accountable for their decisions and actions, on and off the field.
- Student-athletes and coaches will recognize the privilege of participation in athletics and demonstrate respect for themselves; team members and opponents; other coaches, officials. and adults with whom they interact; and our school and community.
- Parents and spectators must recognize the fact that participation in athletics is a privilege and will demonstrate the same respect for student-athletes, coaches, opponents, officials, and other individuals associated with the school athletic program that is expected of Hempfield students, coaches, and district personnel.