Congratulations, Seniors! At the conclusion of this school year, you will have achieved an important milestone by completing the requirements established by the Hempfield School District for graduation.
We are pleased to honor this achievement at our commencement ceremony on Wednesday, May 25, 2022, at 6:00 p.m. at the Georgelis Law Firm Stadium, 340 Mumma Drive, Landisville, PA 17538.
Commencement is a traditional ceremony designed to honor and recognize your educational achievement. Each year, we make every attempt to organize a ceremony that is conducted with great pride and dignity.
As this event is being held outdoors, in the event of rain, we will celebrate your graduation on Thursday, May 26, 2022 -- same time and location. A decision will be made and communicated by 3:00 p.m. on the day of the event. Should we encounter two rain days, our commencement ceremony will then take place on Friday, May 27 as a "rolling, daytime event," not a nighttime event. More details to follow.
It is with great anticipation and excitement that we make final preparations for this year's commencement ceremony. We heed your cooperation and support to make this event special and memorable. Please review important details that follow regarding tickets, practice, and various student and guest expectations and hold on to this information for reference.
- Each student will receive SIX tickets. If there are extra tickets, instructions on how to obtain these will be shared at a later date once we determine availability. PLEASE do not call Hempfield High School to request additional tickets.
- Everyone who attends commencement MUST have a ticket.
- Stadium gates will open at 4:00 p.m. for ticketed guests. Seating will be available on both the home and away bleachers, as well as the turf field and the track.
We kindly request that you do not attempt to save seats for other families/groups.
Seniors must be present for rehearsal on Tuesday, May 24 at 9:00 a.m. in the Georgelis Law Firm Stadium. Participation in commencement rehearsal is mandatory for all students. Students who may have a conflict with the practice for legitimate reasons should contact Dr. Brossman prior to the practice.
Wednesday, May 25 (9:00 a.m.) is the rain date for the practice.
The length of practice depends upon student cooperation. Seniors will be excused for the remainder of the day following practice. (See information below regarding the senior picnic.)
During practice, students will receive the following: National Honor Society medallions, Business Honor cords, World Languages cords, National Art Honor Society cords, Tri-M cords, top 10% stoles and commencement tickets, cap and gown.
- In accordance with the HHS Handbook, students are encouraged to dress in a manner that demonstrates pride both in themselves and in the school. Students should follow these guidelines to ensure that they will be properly attired for the commencement ceremony.
- To protect the track and turf surfaces, graduates and guests are advised that shoes with heels and wedges are not permitted.
- Only HHS approved gowns that were purchased/provided through Herff Jones are allowed.
- When gowns are unpacked from shipment, they are very wrinkled and will need to be ironed. Be careful not to lose the mortarboard and tassel packaged with the gown as we do not have extras.
- The wearing of buttons, pins, signs, or writing messages on the mortarboards or gowns is not permitted.
- Gowns must be fully zipped throughout the entire event.
Commencement Reporting for Seniors:
Students must have cleared all obligations (returned all books/iPads, paid all fines, and met all other fmancial obligations) in order to participate in the commencement ceremony. Students should bring items/payment to commencement practice.
On May 25, we encourage seniors to park at HHS in the Buchanan and cafeteria parking lots.
Seniors must report to the HHS Buchanan entrance doors by 5:15 p.m. Processional begins promptly at 6:00 p.m.
Beginning with the processional, students will wear their mortarboards with the tassels on the right front side of the mortarboard.
Students should remain standing for the National Anthem. Before the Anthem begins, all gentlemen should remove their mortarboards. Following the Anthem, everyone will be seated and gentlemen will replace their mortarboards with the tassel on the right side.
Commencement Ceremony Information & Expectations:
- Every individual entering the stadium will receive a bottle of water. No outside beverages should be brought into the stadium.
- During the ceremony, it is extremely important that all seniors remain attentive to the speakers and other parts of the program. Talking or other inappropriate behavior will distract from the dignity of the program. No cell phones, cameras, other electronic devices, or sunglasses are allowed.
- For most students and their families, the highlight of the ceremony is the presentation of the diplomas. The audience and class members will be asked to hold their applause until all diplomas have been presented.
- Individuals who persist in disrupting the ceremony with inappropriate yelling or noisemakers will be escorted from the stadium.
- To provide a photograph of each graduate receiving their diploma, the school has secured the services of Lifetouch Photography. No family photographers will be permitted near the stage during the ceremony. Guests should remain in their seats and not come toward the stage at any time during the ceremony.
- Hempfield School District will live stream the commencement ceremony. Visit www.hempfieldsd.org on the day of the ceremony for details to watch.
Please note: The HHS commencement ceremony is optional. If you cannot meet the expectations above, or if you choose to not participate, you may receive your diploma without participation in the ceremony. Students choosing to not participate should bring a note, signed by a parent/guardian, to Mrs. Dissinger's office at HHS by Friday, April 29, 2022. Diplomas are NOT mailed to individuals who choose not to participate. They may be picked up in the Franklin Office between 7:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. after the graduation ceremony is complete.
After the Commencement Ceremony
- Immediately following the ceremony, seniors must return their white honors' stoles, and National Honor Society medallions when picking up their diplomas.
- Students must also pick-up their diplomas.
- Last names starting A-K will report to LMS.
- Last names starting L-Z will report to the Buchanan Gym at HHS.
- A DVD of the commencement ceremony may be purchased for $20 or blu-ray for $25. An order form will be posted on Schoology. Forms & payment must be given to Mr. Greer.
Other End-of-Year Events
- Hempfield High School’s Senior Awards Program will be held on Monday, May 9, 2022. Graduates receiving an award will be notified by letter. More details/information will be given in the letter.
- Prom: Saturday, May 14, 2022, at Eden Resort & Suites. Information will be posted on Schoology and also available in either house office. Questions, please contact Mr. Josh Peacher or Mr. Justin Snook.
- Baccalaureate Service is at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, May 22, 2022 at Hempfield United Methodist Church, 3050 Marietta Avenue, Lancaster. This event is co-sponsored by the Fellowship of Christian Athletes Club.
- Senior Class Picnic will be held Tuesday, May 24 after graduation practice at the Lancaster Liederkranz. Cost is $5. More information will be posted on the Senior Class Schoo logy page regarding registration for the picnic. Please contact class advisors Mr. Lee Hawley or Mr. Mark Reidenbaugh if you have questions.