We are pleased to announce our commencement ceremony will be held on Wednesday, May 24, 2023, at 6:00 p.m. at the Georgelis Law Firm Stadium, 340 Mumma Drive, Landisville, PA 17538. As this event is being held outdoors, in the event of rain, we will celebrate your graduation on Thursday, May 25, 2023, at the same time and location. A decision will be made a communicated by 3:00 p.m. on the day of the event.
The graduation ceremony for the Class of 2023 will be streamed live from Hempfield High School’s Georgelis Law Firm Stadium beginning at 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 24. The stream will be available via YouTube by clicking here.
LCTV Comcast channel 66 will air Hempfield's Commencement ceremony one week after graduation on Wednesday, May 31 at 6:00 p.m.
Seniors must be present for both rehearsal practices on Tuesday, May 23 at 9:00 a.m. in the Performing Arts Center and Wednesday, May 24 at 9:00 a.m. in the Stadium. Participation in commencement rehearsal is mandatory for all students. Students who may have a conflict with the practice for legitimate reasons should contact Dr. Bill Brossman prior to the practice.
The length of practice depends upon student cooperation. Seniors will be excused for the remainder of the day following each practice (see information below regarding the senior picnic).
Following practice on Tuesday, May 23, students will receive commencement tickets, cap and gown, and the following: National Honor Society medallions, Business Honor cords, World Languages cords, National Art Honor Society cords, Tri-M cords, top 10% stoles.
In accordance with the HHS Handbook, students are encouraged to dress in a manner that demonstrates, pride both in themselves and in the school. Students should follow these guidelines to ensure that they will be properly attired for the commencement ceremony.
- To protect the track and turf surfaces, graduates and guests are advised that shoes with heels and wedges are not permitted.
- Only HHS approved gowns that were purchased/provided through Herff Jones are allowed.
- When gowns are unpacked from shipment, they are very wrinkled and will need to be ironed. Be careful not to lose the mortarboard and tassel packaged with the gown as we do not have extras.
- The wearing of buttons, pins, signs, or writing messages on the mortarboards or gowns is not permitted.
- Gowns must be fully zipped throughout the entire event.
Commencement Reporting for Seniors
Students must have cleared all obligations (returned all books/iPads, paid all fines, and met all other financial obligations) in order to participate in the commencement ceremony. Students should bring items/payment to commencement practice.
- On May 24, we encourage seniors to park at HHS in the Buchanan and cafeteria parking lots.
- Seniors must report to the HHS Buchanan entrance doors by 5:15 p.m. Processional begins promptly at 6:00 p.m.
- Beginning with the processional, students will wear their mortarboards with the tassels on the right front side of the mortarboard.
- Students should remain standing for the National Anthem. Before the Anthem begins, all gentlemen should remove their mortarboards. Following the Anthem, everyone will be seated and gentlemen will replace their mortarboards with the tassel on the right side.
Each student will receive six (6) tickets. Any extra tickets available will be distributed by Mrs. Dissinger, Dr. Brossman’s administrative assistant, following commencement practices. Typically, we can offer students an additional ticket or two until they are all depleted. We are unable to give a student a large number of additional tickets. Students may also speak with their friends to see if they are using all of their tickets.
- Everyone who attends commencement must have a ticket.
- Stadium gates will open at 4:00 p.m. for ticketed guests. Seating will be available on both the home and away bleachers, as well as the turf field and the track.
- We kindly request that you do not attempt to save seats for other families/groups.
Accessible Parking & Seating
There is a limited number of marked accessible parking spaces on both sides of the stadium. Once the accessible spaces are filled, patrons may be dropped off at the gate prior to parking in regular lots/spaces. Accessible seating is available on the track on both sides of the stadium.
Commencement Ceremony Information & Expectations
During the ceremony, it is extremely important that all seniors remain attentive to the speakers and other parts of the program. Talking or other inappropriate behavior will distract from the dignity of the program. No cell phones, cameras, other electronic devices, or sunglasses are allowed.
For most students and their families, the highlight of the ceremony is the presentation of the diplomas. The audience and class members will be asked to hold their applause until all diplomas have been presented. Individuals who persist in disrupting the ceremony with inappropriate yelling or noisemakers will be escorted from the stadium.
To provide a photograph of each graduate receiving their diploma, the school has secured the services of Lifetouch Photography. No family photographers will be permitted near the stage during the ceremony. Guests should remain in their seats and not come toward the stage at any time during the ceremony.
Hempfield School District will live stream the commencement ceremony. Visit www.hempfieldsd.org on the day of the ceremony for details to watch.
Please note: The HHS commencement ceremony is optional. If you cannot meet the expectations above, or if you choose not to participate, you may receive your diploma without participation in the ceremony. Students choosing not to participate should bring a note, signed by a parent/guardian, to Dr. Brossman’s office at HHS by Friday, April 28, 2023. Diplomas are NOT mailed. Diplomas may be picked up in the Franklin Office between 7:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. after the graduation ceremony is complete.
After the Commencement Ceremony
- Immediately following the ceremony, seniors must return their white honors’ stoles and National Honor Society medallions when picking up their diplomas.
- Students must also pick up their diplomas at the concession stand in the stadium.
- A DVD of the commencement ceremony may be purchased for $20 or a blu-ray for $25. An order form will be posted on Schoology. Forms & payment must be given to Mr. Greer.
If you are interested in becoming a commencement speaker, there will be an informational meeting on March 30 at 9:00 a.m. in LG2. If you are unable to attend the meeting, please stop by room 169 for an information packet. Auditions will be held Thursday, April 27 at 3:15 p.m. in Hackman Auditorium.
LifeTouch will be in attendance at graduation to take professional candid photos of seniors and photos as they cross the stage/receive their diploma. PhotoDay allows parents to view and/or purchase these photos by visiting the PhotoDay website and following these instructions:
- Go to the PhotoDay website.
- Click "Access Galleries" in the yellow "For Parents" box.
- On the galleries page, enter your access code: 58736GY23
- Start shopping! Photos credits can be purchased in advance.
- If issues or questions arise, please utilize PhotoDay's chat feature or reach out to Customer Service at (800)-736-4753.
You can also opt-in by texting 58736GY23 to 90738 and you'll get a text notification the minute your photos are ready. For more instructions click here.
Other End-of-Year Events
- Senior Class Trip 2023: On April 21, seniors will travel to center-city Philadelphia for the afternoon and attend a Phillies game later in the day. The cost is $50. Any senior interested in the trip, please contact Mr. Josh Peacher or Mr. Justin Snook.
- Hempfield High School’s Senior Awards Program will be held on Monday, May 8, 2022. Graduates receiving an award will be notified by letter. More details/information will be given in the letter.
- Prom will be held on Saturday, May 13, 2023, at Eden Resort & Suites. Information will be posted on Schoology and also is available in either office. Please contact Mrs. Christina Moser or Mr. Bill Yoder with questions.
- Baccalaureate Service is at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, May 21, 2023, at Hempfield United Methodist Church, 3050 Marietta Avenue, Lancaster.
- Senior Class Picnic will be held Tuesday, May 23 after graduation practice at the Lancaster Liederkranz. The cost is $5. More information will be posted on the Senior Class Schoology page regarding registration for the picnic. Please contact class advisors Mr. Josh Peacher or Mr. Justin Snook if you have questions.
- Class of 2023 Cap & Gown Walk details will be shared for each elementary school via Schoology closer to the date. This event will take place on Tuesday, May 23 after the senior picnic.