- Hempfield School District
Immunizations Required for Attendance During the 2021-2022 School Year
For the 2021-22 school year, we are asking parents/guardians to plan ahead for the following health documents and immunizations. Being prepared allows our Hempfield School District nurses to best serve our students.
The following exams must be conducted for the listed incoming grades, as required by PA Public School Code. Printable forms can be found at https://www.hempfieldsd.org/healthservices
- Kindergarten Students - Private Physical Examination and Dental Screening
- Grade 3 Students - Dental Screening
- Grade 6 Students - Private Physical Examination
- Grade 11 Students - Private Physical Examination
- For Grade 11 only, this exam can happen anytime during the 2021-22 school year or during the prior year. If a physical exam was done during grade 10, this can be used.
Certain immunizations are also required for all children attending Pennsylvania schools, in accordance with PA Public School Code. The Immunization Law in Pennsylvania requires that all students have required immunizations by the first day of school unless the child has a medical or religious/philosophical exemption. All students must have at least one dose of the vaccinations listed below or risk exclusion.
For attendance in all grades, students need the following:
- 4 doses of tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis
- 4 doses of polio
- 2 doses of measles, mumps, and rubella
- 3 doses of hepatitis B
- 2 doses of varicella (chickenpox) or evidence of immunity
If a child does not have all of the doses listed above, needs additional doses of the next dose, and the next dose is not medically appropriate, the child must provide an alternative medical plan within the first five days of school for obtaining the required immunizations or risk exclusion.
In addition, the vaccines required for entrance into grades 7 and 12 are as follows:
Grade 7 Students
- 1 dose of tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis (Tdap) on the first day of 7th grade
- 1 dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV) on the first day of 7th grade
Grade 12 Students
- 1 dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV) on the first day of 12th grade. If one dose was given at 16 years of age or older, that shall count as the twelfth grade dose.
Please send updated immunization records with your student as soon as possible or no later than Tuesday, August 24, 2021.
For incoming Kindergarten students, please be sure that any immunization records have been provided to the building school nurse prior to entrance in August. Private physical exam forms and dental forms can be completed and returned to the nurse as well.
Any student who does not have the required vaccinations will receive additional personal communication. If you have questions or concerns, please contact your school office.