- Hempfield School District
Athletic Event Spectator Procedures/Considerations
Dear Hempfield School District students, families, staff, and community:
Athletics are an integral part of our district’s total educational program, and it has been exciting to watch our students practice and prepare for the start of the fall season using the procedures and protocols outlined in our HSD Athletic Health and Safety Plan.
In planning for fall athletic events, Lancaster and Lebanon County school districts collaboratively developed procedures that align with both legislative mandates and the guidelines/recommendations from the PIAA and the Lancaster Lebanon League. The information below reflects the current status of the Governor’s order dated September 2, 2020 and is consistent with all athletic venues across our L-L League.
The following guidelines will be implemented during the Fall 2020 sports season:
- There is a 25 person limit to all indoor events. Girls Volleyball is the only indoor competition to be held in the fall. Unfortunately, due to the number of participants, coaches, referees, game officials and lines-persons, the 25 person limit is met WITHOUT the ability for spectators to attend. As such, neither home nor visiting spectators will be permitted.
- Outdoor events are limited to 250 people. With the exception of football, other Fall sports can occur without much interruption. The athletic directors of both teams will ensure that collectively the number of participants, coaches, referees, game officials and spectators does not exceed the 250 person limit. This applies to events held within and outside of the gated fields/stadium.
- Football, by the very nature of the number of participants (players, coaches, referees, band members, cheerleaders, and game officials) will require limitations on spectators. In order to ensure that the home team families can watch their child participate, visiting spectators will NOT be permitted. The home team will determine the protocol for allowing home spectators to attend the contests (to include parents, staff, photographers, press/media, etc.).
- Everyone attending the sporting event, including coaches, officials, athletes on the sidelines, staff, and spectators, age 2 and older must wear face coverings (masks or face shields), unless they are outdoors and can consistently maintain a social distance of at least 6 feet. However, attendance at any event is subject to appropriate behavior and adherence to our health and safety plans. Anyone who refuses to adhere to our guidelines will be asked to leave.
- Lancaster and Lebanon County athletic directors are working to ensure that varsity football and girls volleyball events will be live streamed to the general public.
- Concession stands will NOT be open.
- If spectators are permitted, there will be NO charge to enter the event.
- Hempfield student athletes will receive more specific information from their coaches/advisors.
PLEASE NOTE: Other school districts may have additional rules in place. Please be sure you understand the rules at other school district’s events should you choose to be a spectator at an away event, when permitted.
We encourage our families and community to take advantage of the livestreaming that we will be providing for many of our home athletic contests. More information about livestreaming is available on our website.
We recognize these are trying times for our student-athletes and their families and that the orders/recommendations can change at any time. We are doing our best to work through the orders and guidance as it is provided while remaining attentive to the needs and concerns of our school community. We also need your assistance to help provide a safe and orderly forum for our student athletes and related staff as we open our campuses for these activities.
Please contact the Athletic Office at 717-898-5515 with any questions.
Dr. Steven Polonus, Ph.D, MBA, CMAA
Director of Athletics