Cell Tower Information
Questions & Responses from Verizon Representatives
This document summarizes questions to and answers from Verizon representatives from the Regular School Board Meeting held on November 14, 2017.
This is the General Contractor Master Agreement provided by Verizon and outlining safety programs, compliance with laws, and background checks.
RF Energy Results for RES
This document presents the RF energy test results for measurements taken at RES on October 16, 2017.
RF Energy Results for LMS
This document presents the RF energy test results for measurements taken at the LMS campus site on September 27, 2017. The testing summary follows the introductory letter provided by Verizon.
Response from Verizon Wireless
Click here to view the letter received from Verizon Wireless on September 21, 2017 in response to the letters sent by Hempfield's Superintendent and Board President, which can be read below.
Letters to Verizon Wireless
Click here to view the letter that Board President Bill Otto, acting on behalf of the Hempfield Board of School Directors, sent to Verizon Wireless on Friday morning, September 15, 2017.
Click here to view the letter that Superintendent Dr. Adams sent to Verizon Wireless on Thursday, September 7, 2017 based on direction provided by the Board of School Directors at the September 5, 2017 School Board Meeting.
School Board Statement
The following statement was delivered by School Board President, Mr. Bill Otto on Tuesday, August 8, 2017.
"A number of residents have spoken regarding the proposed cell tower to be built at the old Rohrerstown Education Center (REC) location. We have listened to you, and one of the items requested was for the Board to not take any action during the summer months.
There will be no Board action taken as the lease with Verizon was approved and signed after discussion at the May 12, 2015 Board Meeting. This was after three other public meetings where this project was discussed. The discussions were held at public meetings on January 20, 2015, April 21, 2015, and May 5, 2015.
Thank you for all of your input."
Timeline of Development
While the pending cell phone tower in Rohrerstown has been an item of recent attention, the timeline for projects of this type at Hempfield School District can be traced back to 2010 during open district meetings. The following timeline recounts the meetings.
- 3/22/2010: Discussion at Buildings & Grounds Committee Meeting about AT&T interest in cell tower behind Centerville Middle School.
- 10/25/2010: Discussion at Buildings & Grounds Committee Meeting about possible terms for AT&T cell tower behind CMS. Ultimately, AT&T dropped interest in a cell tower.
- 10/23/2012: Discussion at Buildings & Grounds Committee Meeting about Verizon interest in cell tower on Landisville Campus.
- 4/16/2013: Buildings & Grounds Committee Meeting Executive Session on cell tower contract language. Executive session and topic of cell tower contract was captured on published minutes.
- 5/28/2013: Buildings & Grounds Committee Meeting Executive Session on cell tower contract language. Executive session and topic of cell tower contract was captured on published minutes.
- 10/1/2013: Board discussion Verizon lease on-site behind LMS during Board Committee Meeting. Item on voting agenda for following week.
- 10/8/2013: Board approved Verizon lease agreement for the site behind LMS.
- 1/20/2015: Discussion at Buildings & Grounds Committee Meeting about Verizon interest in cell tower at the site of Rohrerstown Education Center (REC) after demolition.
- 4/21/2015: At Buildings & Grounds Committee Meeting, reviewed contract proposal from Verizon for tower at REC site.
- 5/5/2015: Board discussion Verizon lease on-site of REC following demolition during Board Committee Meeting. Item on voting agenda for following week.
- 5/12/2015: Board approved Verizon lease agreement for the Rohrerstown site.
Consultation with Solicitor
The district’s solicitor has reviewed the current contract with Verizon for the Rohrerstown site. The contract does not provide for unilateral early termination by the District, even if it is determined at some later time that a majority of the board wishes to pursue this direction.
While the board has been reviewing and discussing cell tower projects at public committee and board meetings since March 2010, only recently has the school board begun hearing concerns from Hempfield stakeholders regarding the installation of cell towers on school district property. The board and district administration have comprehensively reviewed literature related to this topic.
Following are citations for resources reviewed by the school board and administration that were found to be particularly important, along with information or comments of note (in italics) from those resources.